Thursday 3 March 2016

Reading the warning signs... and recognising hope

I feel fear.


But that’s the start. And one I can make constructive.


The doctor’s appointment yesterday was an acknowledgement that I am ill – and admitting it to myself has been hard. She drew attention to my critically low BMI, falling blood pressure, sluggish pulse. I have heart palpitations and my hair falls out.


Yet I have closed awareness to my own body for so long, slamming instinct shut and instead focusing an appearance like the spine of a book; a streamlined, clean column of output. Yet rather than producing all the time – it’s time to consume, to read, to recognise – something we all can take steps to do. This seems appropriate given its #Worldbookday and reading is something I love. It’s the opportunity to get into another world, another character, feel around and unlock new experiences. I like to think that is what I am doing with my body now: gradually taking the time to climb back into its crevices, re-involving myself in the narrative of what I need (not what the eating disorder ‘needs’) and giving a story of recovery.


Reading the warning signs is one step – and feeling scared is another step too, another page turned.

I fear falling and not being able to get back up.


Feeling fear is not a fault in itself; it is essentially human. Yet so often in modern society we are encouraged to avoid feeling fear, a fundamental instinct; instead it is acceptable to ‘feed into’ the distraction of media, money, modernity. All these concepts we can receive a kind of confirmation from. But it’s ultimately short-term; just as we ‘shy away’ often from what really matters through things like ‘social’ media – and this is a statement which appears ironic in itself.


Feeling fear is showing that I am aware of myself, not just the eating disorder.  Fear is a feeling after all, and one it helps to be honest about. And because it is a feeling – it is ultimately temporary – it does not define your future or pin-down your present. Because when you cut away the distraction, the routine, you feel things like fear – but also a whole host of marvellous emotions too. I felt happy eating a bowl of cereal with milk yesterday. I haven’t properly eaten cereal with milk for at least a year.


Feeling fear is part of your instinctive want to stay alive – and I do. It’s what we ‘do’ with it that matters, rather than disappearing behind impressions.


Yet this is an age it seems like we can ‘disappear’ in an influx of information, where we scroll instead of read, and spread ourselves across media with a kind of paper-thinness. It seems a little like an analogy for what my eating habits had become.


But I’m determined to get involved in reality, get my grip into the big book of life – which we all can do.  I no longer want to ‘scan’ and ‘scroll’ through my days, only feeling impressions of things, at the instruction of an elaborate routines of exercise and controlled eating. This now means being direct with myself, with others, being honest in the here-and-now. Eating when I am hungry. Accepting when I am tired.


Information can be opportunity.


Time can be taken.


Reality can be read. 

           
It is not as a result of the doctor’s appointment, but my own determination to feel back in touch with things and the inspiration from you all, which drives me. I have after all recently felt the love from some incredible people, experienced the emotion of others reaching out too.  Thank you.

In 5 weeks I wouldn’t be here..... without you

The GP I saw was kind and considerate, but only able to do what she could to move into the next stage of medical treatment for the disorder – a referral for a consultation with the eating disorders clinic.

In 5 weeks time.


My appointment is on the 8th April. In all honestly, if I was still engaging in the same regimented routines as the previous weeks, I don’t think I would be conscious  by then; minimum 6 miles of exertion per day, carefully controlled food, snatches of sleep. It makes me so concerned, angry, for all the other sufferers out there, that they have to wait more than a month even just for a consultation appointment. It is not acceptable.


But the disorder isn’t going to determine up until the 8th April. It is the brilliant support I have received from friends, family, even people I do it know directly – which has helped me read back into reality and re-engage with what matters.  You can do this too.


Between now and the time of the 8th April isn’t going to be a time of waiting.


It is going to be a time of making progress, GAINING GROUND.


The sensations aren’t easy, the sudden jolt, the anxiety – it feels intense. But it is just a feeling, like fear is only a feeling. I am reading into reality, trying readdress my ‘feeling’ of what a healthy amount of food and exercise is, and I’m glad its world book day.  Tonight I will be re-reading one of my favourite books in recent years, ‘The Humans’, by Matt Haig. It’s a brilliant exploration of alienation and self-identity, through the story of an alien re-born in the body of a professor. Can I tempt you?


What an eating disorder makes me feel
·         6 miles/worth of exercise a day is efficient


What, today, is real
·         I made the decision not to run to work for the first time in more than 6 months – I need to keep my energy for gaining weight
·         A better breakfast – rather than oats and water, breakfast today was made with milk, apple, peanut butter and cinnamon too! THIS is balance, not the precarious position I have been putting myself in




No comments:

Post a Comment